Literacy skills begin early in life and are critical to a child's health, behaviour and success in school.
The Early Literacy Specialist will:
- Strengthen, support and promote early literacy and language development within our communities
- Work with programs, agencies and families to deliver workshops and presentations
- Distribute resources that will further develop language and literacy-rich environments for children aged 0-6 years, with a focus on children aged 0-3 years
- facilitating "Train the Trainer" sessions with early years practitioners and parents
- working together with libraries, museums and other recreation and cultural programs parenting programs, adult education and literacy programs
- evaluating and monitoring early learning programs
- providing early literacy materials to programs
- and, offering assistance to parents who have questions
The Early Literacy Specialist informs parents, child care providers and other interested parties of what is available to them.
The following resources are available to borrow at Ontario Early Years Centre near you:
- Literacy Suitcases: Suitcases feature many books, activities, costumes, props and much more to add to your daily programming needs
- Literacy Kits: A book and related props are included in each literacy kit. They are great for making story time more interactive
Who is Eligible?
Parents, caregivers, professionals and students may all access the Early Literacy Program.
Any community organization involved with children from birth to six years is welcome to access the services of the Early Literacy Specialist.
Is there a cost for this program?
Workshops and visits to early learning centres and home day cares are free. Borrowing suitcases and other literacy kits is also free. Fees are only charged for cost recovery of materials that are required for some of the workshops and subsidies are available upon request..
How can I access or find out more about this program?
For a full listing of the workshops that are currently offered, see "Your Guide"
You can call the Early Literacy Specialist at the Ontario Early Years Centre at
519-429-2875 ext 230 or 1-866-463-2759 ext 230.
For more related information on literacy and education, you may wish to follow the links below:
Infant & Child Development Program,
McKinnon Park Child Care Centre
Ready Set School
Licensed Home Child Care
Ontario Early Years Centre-Haldimand and Norfolk
Community Action Program for Children
"Your Guide" includes a full listing of early literacy workshops being offered.
Ontario Early Years Website
Haldimand & Norfolk Early Years
(online directory featuring community services to support early years)
Healthy Babies Healthy Children, Preschool Speech and Language Program
Ministry of Children and Youth
Grand Erie District School Board
Brant Haldimand Norfolk District Catholic School Board
Ecole Sainte. Marie
Haldimand County Library System
Norfolk County Library System
Early Years Study 1
Early Years Study 2